THERE ARE THREE MAIN TYPES OF DISTRACTION:
- Visual: taking your eyes off the road.
- Manual: taking your hands off the wheel.
- Cognitive: taking your mind off of driving.
Texting while driving is especially dangerous because it combines all three types of distraction.
- 71% of teens say they have sent texts while driving
- 78% say they have read texts while driving
*Source: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
According to a AAA poll, 21 percent of teen drivers involved in fatal accidents were distracted by their cell phones.
*Source: AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety